Willie Jenkins, Director of Student Life, will offer an in-depth discipleship program for young men.
Willie Jenkins, Director of Student Life, will offer an in-depth discipleship program for young men. You will see an overview of the series below. To register, please complete this form and turn in to Coach Jenkins or to your campus office by Friday, February 23. For questions, email email@example.com or call 901.754.7217.
Man in the HOOD
Bible Verse for Man in the HOOD: "Iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another"
(Proverbs 27:17 NASB).
- The goal is to equip (katartismon = in Greek is the word for developing an artisan or skilled craftsman) young men to be godly men in any environment.
- Through the transference of life on life, we will show them the difference between a worldly man and a godly man.
- We will use the Authentic Manhood 33 Series
- We will pursue teaching and discussion of topics that are typically off limits for Christians (sex, racism, drugs, etc.)
- These young men will know the difference between a godly man (pneumatikos = Greek for controlled by the Spirit), natural man (psuchikos = Greek for being controlled by mind, emotions, and will, or the 'soul'), carnal man (new/baby believer- sarkinos = Greek for being "fleshly"), and a nominal believer (sarkikos = Greek for willfully, stubbornly continuing to be controlled by the flesh as a result of failure to grow in Christ.
1 Corinthians 2:14 – natural man
1 Corinthians 2:15 – spiritual man
1 Corinthians 3:1 – new/baby believer
1 Corinthians 3:3 – nominal believer
- The way we will do this is to disciple young men from 5th grade, 8th grade, and 12th grade because they are the leaders of each school. We will also hand select a few 4th grade, 7th grade, and 11th grade young men to participate in being discipled, because they are the future leaders.
- oThrough this approach, we will reach and equip the leaders and future leaders at one time. As a rule, if you address the leader you have a shot as his constituency. Conversely, if you focus on addressing the followers, you will likely miss impacting the leader. This is the strategy of Jesus. See the masses thru the man, and build the man (through discipling) to impact the masses.
- The core steps of manhood are
2.Accept Responsibility and Accountability
- 4th and 5th graders will meet twice a month on the first and third Saturday of each month.
- 7th and 8th graders will meet twice a month on the first and third Saturday of each month
- 11th and 12th graders will meet twice a month on the first and third Sunday of each month
- In the first meeting of the month, we will meet at someone's house, eat pizza (or some similar social activity), and view the Authentic Manhood DVD. At the second meeting, we will survey and discuss the contents of the DVD and then engage in a social activity that builds comradery and relationships (ball game, paint ball, etc.)
- In the second meeting the 7th graders will meet with the 4th and 5th graders, and the 11th graders will meet with the 7th and 8th graders. This is for the purpose of fostering relationships between the leaders and future leaders of each school. This strategy will continue as each young man advances to the next level, i.e. as they go from lower school, to middle school, and from middle school to upper school. These meetings are application of Proverbs 27:17, "Iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another."