Academic Resource Center
The mission of the Academic Resource Center at ECS is to enhance the academic, social, and spiritual development of all students. Our academic counselors provide support in an effort to maximize student achievement and also serve as an advocate for all students.
- The counseling department is available to provide academic and behavioral support to all students.
- The Lower School Counselors visit each classroom at least once per month to provide whole group lessons on various topics including bullying, safety, conflict resolution, study skills, and character education.
- The Lower School Counselors run small groups for students on topics such as peer pressure, social skills, student success skills, and middle school transition.
- The Middle and Upper School Counselors assist students with course selections and provide information pertaining to standardized tests.
- The College Placement Counselor provides junior and senior parents and students with information related to college admissions, testing, academic counseling, and career counseling.
ECS Academic Support
ECS Academic Support helps maximize academic success and provides focused services for students with learning differences, helping them to meet academic challenges. The Academic Resource Center (ARC) works in partnership with students, faculty, and administrators to create inclusive and sustainable learning environments. The office facilitates access, discourse, and involvement through innovative services, programs, and collaboration.
There are two levels of service:
Tier 1 - $500 per year
At this level, ECS Academic Support will
- Register and manage the student’s psychological.
- Develop an accommodation plan in coordination with parents and a learning specialist.
- Allow priority in scheduling for the ECS Tutorial Program.
- Allow extended time and alternate location for CTP achievement tests and mid-term and final exams.
- Allow scantron exemption and provide alternative answer format.
- Provide supplemental notes/teacher power points/teacher notes, as available, based on need. (Middle School)
- Provide assistance and documentation for requesting extended time ACT, SAT, and AP.
- Coordinate mid-term and final exam preparation.
- Keep records and prepare a Support Services file in order to receive consideration for accommodations in college.
Tier 2 - $1500 per year
At this level, ECS Academic Support will:
- Offer all services from Tier 1.
- Provide supplemental notes/teacher power points/teacher notes, as available, based on need. (Upper School)
- Assist students with basic organizational skills.
- Help students coordinate assignment books and binders and assist with calendars.
- Offer weekly meetings with the Learning Specialist.
Other accommodations will be coordinated as recommended on a current psychological report. These may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate extended time for tests in the ARC
- Provide for oral testing
- Enlargement of tests
- Provide for the breaking down of tests into shorter segments
- Provide a scribe
Students in Tier 1 or Tier 2 may request Basic classes where available for an additional charge of $500 per class. These classes are limited in size and move at a slower pace to meet the needs of students with diagnosed learning needs.