ECS was blessed to have Joe White, President of Kanakuk Kamps and founder of Kids Across America, as a speaker to our Middle and Upper School students as well as mothers in our community.
A few weeks ago, ECS was blessed to have Joe White, President of Kanakuk Kamps and founder of Kids Across America, as a speaker to our Middle and Upper School students as well as mothers in our community. Joe is a world-renowned speaker who has influenced the lives of millions of people. Dr. James Dobson states, "Joe White knows more about teenagers than anyone in North America."
As a young man in college, I had the opportunity to work at the Kanakuk Kamp for middle schoolers, K-West. During that summer, I will never forget seeing Joe White carry a cross at dusk and quoting the book of 1 Timothy from memory. The talk was palpable because of the spoken Word of God, the passion of his voice, and the offer to respond to the gospel.
After Joe spoke to our students, I was able to record a podcast with him in our podcast studio on the Shelby Farms campus. The title of the podcast is "Shepherding the Hearts of Teens." I would encourage you to listen to it as he shares his heart on this topic. Here are the questions I asked him during our time together:
• What are some of the best practices, from your perspective, on shepherding the hearts of teens?
• How can parents have a thrive approach during these years instead of a survive approach as we shepherd their hearts?
• What is the best parenting advice you have ever been given?
• Is there a difference with how you parent boys and girls?
• For our younger parents, how do you recommend talking to your kids about sex?
• What is the end goal, the telos, for parents?
My favorite quote from Joe during our time together, "If you have a relationship with your kids, you can go through anything." I encourage you to take the time to listen to the entire podcast (#46) or at iTunes.